Friday, September 20, 2013

The First Appointment with the new In Vitro Doctor

So we arrived and waited forever, spoke with a nurse that I had trouble understanding, and then met with the doctor to be told, he wasn't comfortable doing in vitro, yet! That being said, the overall appointment went well.

He was not comfortable with my medical history and felt the need to discuss with previous doctors before deciding that pregnancy would do me well. I told him what each doctor told me, so he is going to have the nurses and himself get the records and speak with the doctors to make a better decision before proceeding.

Despite the setback, he did state that there is a 50-55 percent chance of us getting pregnant and about 45 percent chance of us staying pregnant (not miscarrying). With my fertility history being well-known and understood my percentage of getting pregnant may actually be higher.

Another fear he has is that with all the surgeries I have had, my ovaries may not be in the easiest place to access. I told him where they were, since they are, as he had guessed, not where they were biologically meant to be. Usually when someone has bowel surgery, the ovaries are up higher, whereas mine is down lower, which may actually work in our favor as there will be less in the way to get to them. He has not visually checked this out himself, therefore, there is a good possibility he may have differing opinions later.

He also wants me to have my uterus rechecked. Last time I had it checked, I was told it was beautiful. Yes, that was the word used. He wants to assure there are no fibroids or polyps and that we have a clean home for a future fetus before this venture begins. He gave me a potential start date of November, which I said might not work for us, that we would be more interested in December or January. After further discussion, we decided December was out due to him taking two weeks off around Christmas.

So to recap:

  • He's going to talk to my other doctor's before deciding to do in vitro. 
  • Their success rate is around 50 percent. 
  • We are going to recheck my womb health. 
  • Placement of my ovaries may cause hindrance. 
  • Possible January start date. 
  • Oh and of course there are things on the male's end, which aren't much of a concern. 


Please, when you see me, unless I bring it up, I don't want to answer questions. That being said, feel free to ask questions here. Writing about this helps me process. Since I am not a natural born speaker, discussing it, kind of stresses me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!