Thursday, November 14, 2013

Getting Tested for IVF: Changes, Pain, and a Sonohystogram

I have to admit, I am not as big of fan of the new place I am going to for IVF, as I was Dr. Daly's. This makes me sad, since he has left his practice, and I do not have the choice to go back. It's not exactly that they are bad or I dislike them, it's just their office is run much like a big business.

When I call with questions, I am unable to just talk to one person and get my answers. They transfer me from person to person until all my questions are answered. When I walk in, I meet several different faces each time I enter, so no one, not even the nurses recognize me. Plus there are three doctors, not just one.

They do have high success and I have heard lots of good things about them so I should be happy.

It's not that I'm unhappy, I just wish I could have stayed with Dr. Daly's office where they knew my name, my history, and I was comfortable.

----

That brings me to today. They are making me redo some of the tests I had done previously, because different office, different rules, different procedures. I was a little unhappy that the procedure was scheduled with a different doctor than I had my consult with. Plus it was a female. Call me sexist, but I have always been more comfortable with men when it comes to gynecology. Probably because of my early bad experience with a female gynecologist.

She was super nice, compassionate, but she didn't sit down and talk with me. She didn't let me ask questions. She was in a hurry, and she did what she had to do then moved on to her next patient.  I didn't really have any questions, nor did I need her undivided attention, I just felt it was a little impersonal.

The procedure I had done was a mock embryo transfer and a sonohystogram. Both went well from an ivf standpoint, horrible from a patient standpoint. I was told I would experience mild cramping, but instead I screamed, "ow, ow, ow," and further embarrassed myself by crying.

She did say because of my excessive scar tissue, it may have caused more pain than the average person. I have to admit, it was not as painful as when they did the hysterosalpingogram several years ago, which was so painful that I literally was having hot flashes as the pain coursed through my body. That was because they were forcing fluid through blocked falloppian tubes - not pleasant.

I understand that labor is more painful than either one of these, and I probably have no right to whine and complain, but I have to admit, it was not what I was planning to go through when I woke this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!