Monday, November 11, 2013

San Diego Trip: Part Four: La Brea Tar Pits (Our time in LA)

If you know me well, you know I am a little on the odd side. One of my oddities is my absolute fascination with all things fossils. Which is why the La Brea tar pits is so incredibly fun for me. They have so many awesome full animal fossils that they have found in their tar pits. They also have a station where you can see people working on cleaning fossils. Then you can see where people are working to retrieve fossils from the tar pits. Yeah, totally my thing! I totally took a bazillion photos, but I will share just a few, since to someone else the excessive photos of extinct animals would become boring. 

Here is a saber tooth cat. Also known as a saber tooth tiger, but they are actually more closely related to the lion, hence the proper name being saber tooth cat. Actually the proper name is Smilodon.


This was a recreation of what they believe the wooly mammoth looked like. 


And this is their amazing bones.
  

This is the famous recreation showing how an animal got sucked into the tar pit. You will see this on all their brochures. Notice how there is a layer of water above the tar, which is why animals would go to it. They would go to get a drink and get stuck, and not be able to escape. You will see the water have little bubbles. 


Here is an example of what the tar looks like. This was just a random spot that had seeped up in the middle of the area. 


So while we were in LA, this guy grabbed me and made me get pictures of myself with him, and then forced us to give him money. He doesn't seem like a guy you say no to.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!